FLOWER CSA FAQs
When can I purchase a CSA subscription?
Pricing and signup are available from winter to early spring. Shares begin in mid-February*. We ask that you sign-up at least 10 days before a share starts. If you are late to the game we will happily pro-rate a share for you if there is space in our membership, but shares are limited and may sell out.
How are the bouquets packaged?
Bouquets come artfully wrapped in our signature hand-stamped brown craft paper sleeve.
Do I need to trim or cut the stems once I receive the bouquet?
Yes! When you get your flowers home snip the ends of the stems with sharp scissors or pruners and then place in a clean vase with fresh water.
Are these delivered to my home?
For an additional cost, you can choose local delivery (see our delivery area here). OR at no cost your subscription will be delivered to your choice of pick-up location.
Can I have these delivered to a friend?
No, not at this time. Your subscription will be delivered to your choice of pick-up location.
What is a CSA?
CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. A flower CSA works the same way as popular vegetable CSAs. A member typically joins in the winter/early spring before the growing season starts. Their payment helps our farm buy seeds and other supplies for the year. In return for their investment, members receive a weekly bouquet of organically grown flowers.
How do I care for my bouquet?
- Start with a clean vessel. I sanitize mine with a splash of bleach and a good scrub and then rinse it out well.
- Fill vessel with fresh water about ⅓ of the way full. The more water you put in the more contact with the stems means more opportunity for bacteria to grow, so we recommend filling to ⅓ and changing water frequently
- Snip the ends of your flowers at an angle with a sharp pair of scissors or pruners.
- Do not place in direct sunlight.
- Change the water in the vase every other day and give the stems a fresh snip. Bacteria clogs the stems of the flower and causes them fade more quickly. Fresh, clean water and a fresh cut on the ends will help the flowers continue to be able to drink and last longer!
- Let the bouquet evolve! Some flowers are more ephemeral than others and we encourage our members to pull those blooms out of the bouquet once they fade but to continue to enjoy the other blooms and foliage that last longer. We’ve been told that some of our blooms last close to 12 days!
How long do the flowers typically last?
We have found that our bouquets last upwards to a week. Some flowers are more ephemeral than others and we encourage our members to pull those blooms out of the bouquet once they fade but to continue to enjoy the other blooms and foliage that last longer. We’ve been told that some of our blooms last close to 12 days.
When should I sign up for the CSA subscription?
If you know you’ll be wanting a Bee’s Wing Farm flower subscription, your early commitment will be greatly appreciated. Your early-enrollment helps us have the cash flow to make those purchases with confidence and to know how much we need to grow to supply our members with beautiful flowers all season long.
Are your subscriptions limited?
Yes. There are a limited number of shares.
Do you offer any other flowers outside of your subscriptions? If so where can I purchase your flowers?
We partner with several local businesses that regularly carry our bouquets: Jenny’s Salon in Purcellville and Petite Loulou in Purcellville. We are also always happy to make you a custom bouquet for on-farm pick-up. Visit our Shop page for more information and ordering.During the COVID-19 Pandemic we are not offering on-farm pick up bouquets. Please check out our SHOP page for our Porch Petal contactless delivery bouquet offerings.
Can I cancel my subscription?
We do not accept cancellations but do allow you to transfer ownership of the share to another person.
Can I purchase a gift certificate?
Yes! We have a charming printed gift certificate to let your sweetheart, friend, coworker or family member that you have gotten them a most thoughtful gift. You can either pick up the gift certificate from us at the farm or we can mail one to you.
What happens if I am out of town during a bouquet pick-up?
You can send us your friend's or neighbor's address for the delivery of your bouquet*. If you are not able to pick up let us know, and we will find a loving home for the bouquet to a person in need of some color and cheer!
Please keep in mind the 20-mile radius for delivery.
Can I order another 4-week subscription after my first 4 week subscription?
Sure thing! We’d love to keep sharing our flowers with you if we have shares to spare!
Is your packaging compostable?
All of our packaging is compostable/recyclable. REFUSE - REDUCE - REUSE - RECYCLE!